Sunday, August 14, 2011

Day Six, Dinner-- An outstanding meal.

Yep, you read that right. Outstanding.

After polishing off that bumwine or whateverthefuck it was I was drinking, I was on a mission to find actual food. I was feeling lucky when I saw Lumi, a local favorite of mine. After very little deliberation, I decided to fuck it and see what I could get.

And get something I did.

For those not in the know, Lumi Empanada & Dumpling Kitchen is a fresh, hip restaurant that combines Vietnamese and Brazilian cuisine in a most excellent way. Brother-and-sister owners Susie and An Bui have crafted one of the city's most unique dining experiences thanks to the offbeat, inspired menu and the art gallery-esque restaurant design. Dare I say there is nary a bad table in the place. And I am a big table whore.

I arrived and met Susie, who was well aware of my plight and blog. She grimaced. -__-

Fear not, milady. Fill me with good eats and mayhaps I will be pleased. And such was done. ^___^


I couldn't afford an entree [Editor's note: I hate saying that], but Susie had an idea. She started me off with Lumi's complimentary shrimp crisps, which are light, wafer-like crisps with just the right hint of shrimp flavor. It was paired with a new Lumi creation-- Susie called it "edamame guacamole." Whatever it was, it was DELISH. It's equally as light, which keeps a delicate balance with the shrimp crisps-- and is just creamy enough to give it some extra weight on the tongue as one experiences the salty edamame flavor.



Susie followed that with my main dish-- feijoada. It's a combination of simmered black beans, shredded pork, and jasmine rice, topped with collard greens. The perfectly cooked black beans playfully accent the tender pork, whose juices add yet another layer of flavor to the rice; the texture combination is flawless.


Well played, Ms. Bui. Well played.
Note that this does not resemble the slop I ate at Freebirds. Why? Because feijoada is appropriately located in the soup section of the menu.

I may have to rethink my entire take on "cheap" meals. Perhaps I have seen the light...

No comments:

Post a Comment